Thursday, June 3, 2010

Reality Heart Breakers

Just like when I served there, with all the fun times I had, ESL brought a lot of heartache when it came to the people. You can teach there, but the #1 thing keeping people from progressing is commitment. I was so happy when I served there, but because of an inability to commit, people couldn't progress, which led to a lot of sadness while there. In our return, I was again so happy to be there, but just like 8 to 9 years ago, it still brought much sadness, in the same, as well as in different, ways. -T


This is what 15th and Piggott used to look like...everyday, any time of day...
...this is what it looked like in our return. This is the first time EVER I haven't seen people out there. The whole city actually seemed more empty this time around.

We visited a house where an old investigator - Madge - lived when I was here. We found out from a friend living there that she passed away about year ago of a heart attack.

Maybe she'll accept the gospel on the other side?
When I left the first time about 8 1/2 years ago, Madge didn't want me to forget her, and she gave me this gift. I came back to tell her I hadn't forgotten her. I hope she still knows.
Missing from church was Sister Snipes, a favorite member from my days here.

She also gave me a gift when I left (seen here). Come to find out she is now inactive and got heavy into drugs and alcohol recently. I was told she might shoot me if I try to visit her. I took the chance anyway. Still...unfortunately, she wasn't home.
I did service at the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Boys & Girls Club. I was looking it up online before our trip and found that it had been closed down about 9 months ago. It was an amazing place for youth in a troubled area. If they don't get it back up and running again soon, a scary city could turn even scarier.


2 Nephi 2:11-13 - Some things make you appreciate even moreso what you have!

I really hope they re-open this eventually.
The Pit...just down the street from our Washington Park area apartment. Home to many nights of gunfire...I slept through it more than my companions did.

In my last week on my mission, I set a goal of teaching 30 discussions. This is where we started and taught 14 in one day. It is now vacant, boarded up, and fenced off.

Breaks my heart

But the day is always better when you see the Good Year Blimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment